View Single Post
Old
12-06-2003, 01:42 PM
BlueAndWhite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Really? Exactly who is available? Nobody. If Gonachar is off the market, Hamrlik is the only high level guy who MAY be available. In fact, Hamrlik is the only top four guy who may be avaiable. And you can wait until the deadline if you want, that is when the rest of the playoff bound teams will be looking to acquire dmen, not delete them.

I think Toronto has no choice but to deal with the Isles if they want a top four guy, and I think they'll pay through the nose because they have no other choice. Toronto can't go far with their current defense, and they seem desperate to make a move this year. Ripe for a deal, if you ask me.

Stajan, Steen, and a 2nd round pick for Hamrlik. THat is my prediction. Could be wrong, and this just a guess, but that is what I predict.
I think what he meant, is there will be DEFENSEMEN available. Not necessarily high-level guys.

If you've seen the Toronto Maple Leafs defense play lately, with the exception of Marchment - the unit has performed VERY well. Pilar is back and with the emergence of Berg - MOST Leaf fans are content with Kaberle, McCabe, Pilar, Berg, Klee.

It's understandable how someone from the outside would think the Leafs won't be able to go far with their current defense because you only see Kaberle, McCabe and Klee. Berg has been a huge dissapointment until this year and Pilar was/is still an unknown.

I've stated it before (Trottier..here's looking at you). I personally believe the Leafs can have their cake and eat it too. On paper I don't see the Leafs being better than 6 other NHL teams at BEST. The Leafs do not have to purge their entire future for a shot at the Cup, because they do not have a viable one (at this point - a lot can change over the course of the season)

An addition of another dependable top 4 guy (does not have to be a #1/#2) gives them a good shot to come out of the East.