View Single Post
Old
10-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
Many players have been called elite for equal or lesser achievements. Even borderline elite is a hell of a lot more than Duchene has accomplished, even more-so when you compare the situation of their careers thus far. And that is the point. I don't care about how you characterize categories of players. If those are your criteria, then do it for all players involved.

The simple fact is you need to take out this best season to prop your argument up, because without it you don't have a leg to stand on. 83 points in 139 games are not elite numbers.

Kessel is better, has accomplished a hell of a lot more, and is more valuable than Duchene.
I've never called Duchene an elite player, so I don't see how that argument works.

You're overlooking the biggest argument in Duchene's favor: Age

You're making an argument as if everything was equal. It isn't. I doubt anyone will dispute that Kessel, in six seasons, has accomplished more than Duchene in his three. You would expect Kessel to be entering his prime, while Duchene still has a bit of developing to do. Much of Duchene's value stems from his youth. He's 21 years old, and he already has two good seasons under his belt. Historical precedence suggests that he will continue to get better. How much better might he be when he's 25?

So, your statement that Kessel is better, and has accomplished more, doesn't tell the whole story. Kessel is four years older, with six years of NHL experience. As for their value, that's debatable. An equally talented center is almost always more valuable than a winger, and the difference between Kessel and Duchene isn't significant enough to not consider age and position.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote