View Single Post
Old
10-06-2012, 01:05 AM
MS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Generally when I compare players, I do so comparing the major trait. While I do agree Corrado has great smarts and solid positioning, his major attribute is his puck moving ability, which resembles Ehrhoff.
Don't see it.

Corrado's major attribute is his hockey sense and defensive positioning, coupled with excellent footwork and mobility. The way he thinks the game and - in particular - how he reacts to unexpected or high pressure situations is already almost NHL calibre, and stood out immediately both in the 2011 NHL preseason and the 2012 AHL playoffs.

He's never going to be an offensive point producer. 26 points in the OHL last year.

Similar to Hamhuis, he's an average-sized guy with nice skills for a defender, but doesn't use those skills in an offensive/gamebreaking type way, and instead focuses primarily on defensive play.

Ehrhoff is a gamebreaking high-risk offensive defender who is soft-ish in his own zone and has occasional defensive issues. Corrado will basically be 100% the opposite of that.

He's our best defensive prospect and I wouldn't have been shocked if he'd pushed for an NHL roster spot out of camp this season, based on how he looked in the AHL at the end of last year.

As a raw 18 y/o AHL rookie playing his first few games at that level, he looked immediately more comfortable with the pace of play at that level than Connauton and Sauve looked after 2 full seasons.