View Single Post
Old
10-06-2012, 02:12 PM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero View Post
With Girginsons at center he could make a Selke trophy candidate someday. He is like a Ryan Kesler type of player.

Since Grigorenko, Ennis, and Hodson are the Sabres top 3 centers, I think the Sabres want to use him at wing. I'm guessing that The Sabres will want to use his grit and defensive abilities to pair up with the offensively skilled Grigorenko and Armia. They may also want him on a line with Grigorenko because Grigorenko is Russian and Gerginsons is Latvian (basically Russian) for chemistry purposes.

You can also say that Ruff generally doesn't know what the best position for players are and that's why he does so much line juggling.
Latvia and Russia aren't really that similar, so I don't know if there'd be any type of chemistry.
They're very different cultures and they speak different languages.

I proposed putting Foligno and Armia with a skilled center before the draft (I proposed Jankowski because I didn't think we'd ever get Grigorenko) and I still think it could work.
Foligno isn't the most skilled guy but he's really developed over the past two seasons and he has a great work ethic and would mesh well with finesse players.
I think him of him as a Scott Hartnell type; he has enough skill to keep up with the top-end guys and will dig for pucks, create space, and go to the net.
Makes a lot more sense than converting a player that's the type of center we've lacked for some time into a winger..

What I've always said about moving Girgensons to wing is that it's voluntarily devaluing him.
Develop him as a center with the intention of him being a center and that's it.
If he needs some time at wing in the NHL, that's fine, but playing wing at a lower level than that doesn't sit well with me.
I think he can be a fine center in the NHL and just like Kesler, he needs to be surrounded with playmakers, which is why I proposed moving Ennis back to wing and sticking him with Girgensons.
His shot is better than his playmaking skills, but I don't think the gap is extreme as Kesler who is extremely selfish for a center.
He played with a kid that's extremely similar to Ennis named Johnny Gaudreau during his rookie season in Dubuque and they were great together.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote