View Single Post
Old
05-10-2006, 02:48 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I don't know how they became idiots in 3 consecutive 2 goal games. I know that we disagree about the D. I think that it's a grass is always greener somewhere else thing, I'm not sure that the type of player you like is really out there. I could see moving Souray for the right return, I think that he's a bit deliberate in decision making, but who do you get to replace him. You want a surer safer passer or puck mover, but you have to make up for the guy's character,presence,and his shot.

I think if you measure the puck moving qualities of our D by point totals[ I don't really] our guys are actually underated. For every guy we identify as having good passing ability, ther's a downside. I think you have to look at defensive team play, because there just aren't that many great D men out there. Personally, I like Zhitnik, always have, but that's just me.
I'm just hoping that they can get the right mixture. I appreciate the guys we have right now, they're all battlers and they go to war. But you need at least four guys who can move the puck quickly and smartly if you wanna win a Cup and we're three guys away from that right now, that's all I know. Also, our agility down low has to be improved. So we need to pick up the skills of smaller men while retaining our size somehow. Rivet and Souray's contracts are both up at the end of next season. Neither of them is cheap for what they offer and their contracts have more to do with seniority (and a good half-season from Souray) than anything else. Bouillon is a decent bottom-pair guy if he has the right partner (he doesn't in Dandenault). I am not matching us against the Big Three or anything, but I would like to see four solid puck movers with mobility and some size mixed in. Then I'll know we have a shot at a Cup. Until I see that, I don't believe.

And we don't have much time to synchronize that with the end of Markov's contract either. He's gonna be up for big bucks and will probably be overvalued and we'll probably have to pony up the cash for him. On top of that, Huet is an unknown quantity, despite his fine play in stretches. To me he has a long way to go to prove that he can put in 4 or 5 solid #1 years in. I'm not convinced just looking at the weak goals he lets in from time to time.

Defense wins championships and we have a long way to go.