Thread: Confirmed with Link: Sylvain Guimond, new Habs psychologist
View Single Post
Old
10-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
We really have no idea whether or not the Habs use advanced metrics in player evaluation. I don't think they necessarily have as much of an effect as they do in baseball, it's harder to quantify production in hockey. CORSI relQoC and GVT provide a good look at the value a player provides, and are certainly valuable ways of looking at hockey, but it's not quite at the point where it can so heavily augment traditional methods. The reason it works so well in baseball is because it's a very static game, every pitch is its own separate statistical event, whereas with a fluid sport like hockey it's much harder to quantify. I'm a big fan of advanced statistics in hockey, but at the moment it's not quite at a Moneyball level.
I don't think any sport should rely entirely on stats, even in baseball moneyball has its limits (the overrated "intangibles") and in hockey they definitely are not perfect. However they are a tool I think scouts and coaches should use to compliment what they see with their own eyes.

For instance saying Gomez has a good CORSI doesn't make him a hidden moneypuck gem, it just means the one thing he can still do is posses the puck while playing sheltered minutes.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote