Old
10-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMROWE View Post
Copps Coliseum can & will be renovated for around 150 million & Copps could last addtional 40 years .
I'm very skeptical of any renovations, of any magnitude, lasting 40 years. Especially on a building that's already 27 years old. Not skeptical that those renovations would last that long, mind you. Where my skepticism lies is the down-the-road operating costs (increase). As a businessman, I would have to really step back a moment and evaluate the pro's and con's. First, $150 million was the estimate in 2007, managed to stay that number in Balsillie's plans, so factor in 2012 + figures to what... around $170-$180 million in renovation costs?

The renovation/upgrade plans I've seen certainly boost revenue potential and overall amenities/fan experience but show me nothing of revamping core structure, electrical, and water/sewer capabilities with regards to conservation, waste elimination, green initiatives, and the like. Now, if I want to significantly attempt to scale back my longterm costs, then I'd best plan to add another $12-$17 million on revamping those aforementioned items.

If weighing immediate benefits vs. long term, and considering that I'm estimated to be between $170 and say $210 (allowing for small cost overun) and essentially half way there towards building a whole new arena, I would have to seriously weigh my options on a whole new arena.

I'm repeatedly on record as saying that Hamilton should get a franchise. So I don't have to be sold to on that. Given that Global Spectrum is now going to run Copps and Hamilton Place, one could summize that they "smell" somethings in water. Where I stop short of a full court press, at the moment, is Copps itself.

Major4Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote