Thread: GDT: The lockout thread
View Single Post
Old
10-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Also, here is Bob McKenzie's recent twitter reaction to the lockout (this is his combined tweets from yesterday): https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

Quote:
I've purposely avoided too many lockout tweets but in honor of anniversary (1 week) of Krys Barch's salue to OV, answers to some oft asked ?

My instincts say we'll lose the whole year but we've still got a month or two to salvage a Dec or Jan start up, so we'll see. I suspect we'll see our first real movement from either side in coming week but whether that creates legit traction for talks, who knows? At this point, I don't doubt either side's resolve. That may be the problem. Owners think players will cave. Players think owners will cave. I think, like last time, we'll lose the season before anyone blinks.

I'm dismayed that the NHL is insistent on getting such a significant and immediate clawback (57 to 50 per cent). Too much, too soon. But it's equally discouraging that we are cancelling games and players are still stuck on notion of not taking any tangibe dollar reduction. Maybe it's posturing to get best deal possible at right time but if players insist on no tangible reduction to actual $, turn out the lights I don't doubt players' resolve, but I am surprised at how many players think Bettman and/or owners will blink. Maybe they will, but...

...But of all the things I've learned in 30+ yrs covering this game, Bettman, Jeremy Jacobs and Ed Snider don't strike me as bluffers. And last time I checked, Don Fehr isn't a guy who shies away from a fight. So that pretty much brings us to where we are. Fans, as angry as they are, have no voice in this dispute, at this moment. But once dispute is over, they have the only voice that matters. I'm not saying you shouldn't voice frustration/anger now, I'm saying the only real impact you have is by not spending your $$$.

Hey, I could be completely wrong. These things tend to take on a life of their own. And I do anticipate some movement in the coming week. But Fehr wasn't hired to roll over and Bettman's history suggests he doesn't play bluff poker, so...

As for most frequently asked questions: if lockout goes all year, players lose or burn that year of their contract...

...If lockout ends in mid-season, contracted NHL players playing in Europe have out clauses to come back. Biggest fear, and maybe this why it won't last all season, is if it goes whole season, prospects of 2nd season being affected are high IMO. If season is lost, I can see NHLPA putting salary cap back on table. Then we have a fight that makes this one look like Boy Scout Jamboree. Hopefully, sanity prevails and we get some movement/traction this week. We'll see. G'nite, hang in, we're merely spectators, for now, anyway

BTW, as pessimistic as I have been, still hopeful this coming week may bring actual negotiations for the first time. In the meantime, Happy Thanksgiving in Canada, and I hope Americans have a splendid Columbus Day weekend.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller