View Single Post
Old
10-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Thoughts on Weekend Whales Games

Things have slowed down significantly with posting things at the main site. So, I am doing a few things here. First is my Top 20 for the fall, which has been held up somewhere. The article with explanations you will have to wait for, but here is just the list. Why it is important has to do with some of my comments (below the list) that result from watching the Whale last night and today.

1. Chris Kreider, LW, 8.5C
2. JT Miller, LW, 7.0C
3. Dylan McIlrath, D, 7.0C
4. Jesper Fast, RW, 7.0C
5. Brady Skjei, D, 7.0C
6. Christian Thomas, RW, 7.5D
7. Michael St. Croix, C, 7.0C
8. Boo Nieves, C, 6.5C
9. Oscar Lindberg, C, 6.5C
10. Steven Fogarty, C, 7.0D
11. Calle Andersson, D, 6.5C
12. Andrew Yogan, C, 6.5C
13. Stu Bickel, D, 5.5A
14. Marek Hrivik, LW, 7.0D
15. Cam Talbot, G, 6.5C
16. Shane McColgan, RW, 6.0C
17. Ryan Bourque, LW, 6.5D
18. Jason Missiaen, G, 6.5D
19. Kyle Jean, C, 6.5D
20. Scott Stajcer, G, 6.0C

Comments following the weekend:

1. Kreider is scary good--he is already the best player that I have seen on an AHL team in years. He can skate better than anyone in the league, is extremely strong on the puck and his release is lightning fast. I have raised his rating in the Fall ranking, but I am not even sure that it accurately reflects how high I think that his ceiling is.

2. In every game and scrimmage that I have witnessed Kyle Jean is making things happen. Sometimes guys really are late bloomers, are signed without being drafted by anyone and just shine when they become pros. It really looks like Kyle Jean may be one of those.

3. JT Miller is learning, but I did not see much from him this weekend. Others have told me that Miller was one of the best players on the ice in earlier games this week (when I did not attend), but from what I saw, he still has a ways to go.

4. There were times in the two games this weekend that Andrew Yogan was very visible and others where he disappeared. He can use his body well, and has a good shot, but where he winds up on this team is still up in the air.

5. Christian Thomas had a terrible game today. He was completely invisible, except when he turned to puck over to an opponent in his own zone which led to a goal against. Thomas needs to get stronger on the puck to be successful in the pro game.

6. Jason Missiaen had a fabulous game last night and was very good last season--of the three goalies in the system, I believe that he has the most potential.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote