View Single Post
Old
10-08-2012, 11:25 AM
stocky

vCash: 500
Another Marine here, congrats and welcome to the coolest game on earth! I too was a long time fan, and played street hockey as a kid, but just started playing last year. I was bit by the hockey bug and bought some roller hockey skates, started skating on a small outdoor rink and its grown from there. Unfortunately, I too am on a MEU at the moment (out of Camp Pen), so no hockey for the next few months for me. The lockout is killing me! Cant wait to get back to Cali and start playing some orginized hockey for the first time.

Im sure you are in very good shape. 12 years in the Marines will do that to you weather you want to or not. I really wouldnt worry much about that. You'll be fine. The advice given in this thread seems more than adequet to get ou on your way as far as legs are conscerned.

For gear, I would definatly suggest a Play It Again sports store. Thats where I got all of my equipment starting out, minus my skates which I bought new. I am planning on replacing a few of the pieces when I get back. Its a good option if you dont know what you like, and dont want to spend a ton of money on new gear. The only drawback is that you re limited by the popularity of hockey in your area. I was able to buy all of my stuff back home in Minnesota so I had a very wide selection to choose from.

Keep us updated when you get back!

stocky is offline   Reply With Quote