View Single Post
Old
10-08-2012, 01:09 PM
teal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
You cannot technically bonk after 30 minutes of activity.

To the OP, you originally talked about your appetite going down the drain. Before or after hockey? Or is it a general lack of appetite over the course of the week?

When I raced, I had a tendency to overtrain and a bizarre consequence of overtaining is loss of appetite. One would think that the effects of overtraining would make one want to eat everything in sight but that's not how it works.

Overtaining is more than just being tired or overdoing it for a few days. It's a physiological condition where you've dug yourself into a hole that can take a week or two to get out of. The instinct that you need to work harder to get your conditioning back up is the trap. What you need to do is cut way back on everything.

Maybe this is the problem?
Yes, it's exactly this- I have had a general lack of appetite over the course of the week (in addition to afterwards, but I force myself to put food in my body.) I generally LOVE food so it's very very weird for me. I find myself eating because I know that I need to, but I am just not enjoying anything, and even become averse/disgusted by some of the stuff I usually enjoy.

I -have- been obsessed with seaweed snacks lately though (random but true.) Is this my body screaming for more iodine? Magnesium? Seafood? One thing one of my Crossfit coaches told me was to add a pinch of (iodized) salt to my water, which seems to help a little. Like when I'm gulping it down during/after [any] workout it feels a lot better/more substantial than just plain old water.

I'm trying to look at some paleo type carbo-loading ideas. Sweet potatoes are one, but I am so sick of those (this new appetite stuff aside.) Any ideas? Or in general, what are some good foods to carbo-load on? I've read a lot about pancakes in runners magazines as well. Would this apply well to a hockey athlete?

I think it really is my body getting used to this... plus the classes take place in the evenings which isn't a big deal on Saturday but kinda rough on Mondays when I'm all amped up afterwards and have to go to sleep and get up for work the next day.

Re: Weight, I've been at about 125-120 for at least a year. I don't notice any major differences in this, but I also don't check it often. I should do this just to keep track now. I don't think I mentioned this, I'm 24 for whatever that is worth in gauging all of this stuff.

Quote:
Do you eat a good amount earlier in the day? I found if I don't eat enough early I get hungry later.

When you say getting fatigued or tired, does that mean in terms of muscles or sleepy or what? I am guessing your cardio conditioning is really high but hockey is much more of a big muscle sport (closer to lifting IMO).

Also, you're not doing Crossfit the same day are you?

I guess I'm a bad guy to take advice from though since I'm usually playing through a hangover at 30 pounds overweight
Definitely not doing Crossfit same day! Or even the day before I guess I haven't been lifting as much in CF lately because of my back, so maybe this is why these muscles get more tired. I prefer body weight movements and tend to scale down any lifting.

I think I am also not eating enough earlier in the day. When I say fatigued, I think I feel it mostly in my head, if that makes sense, like, I just can't summon the energy to do something mentally, I don't have the energy or excitement. In contrast to the Womens skills sessions where I'm amped up the entire time.

I think a part of all this might be mental- I'm a LOT less experienced than the guys, so I always feel like that kid who gets picked last kinda thing (not that we are actually playing)- I feel bad about whoever gets stuck doing drills with me, if that makes sense. But when I'm with the women I feel pretty good.

Quote:
My first questions would be whether you're hydrating enough during hockey. You sweat a lot more than you realize during hockey due to the gear absorbing it (hence the gear smelling like something undead), and it's easy to not drink enough. The sensation of thirst can often present as hunger, so I'd rule out that you're downing enough water. If you're getting dehydrated, that would definitely cause some fatigue.

As far as other reasons for fatigue, it may also just be a matter of conditioning yourself to be used to two-hour, full-ice sessions. The anaerobic workout of hockey is a different type of fitness than a straight-up aerobic workout like running. Depending on how long you've played that Saturday night game, your body might just be adjusting to it.

I don't think you're eating too early. I'm not much of an expert on nutrition, but I know NHL players tend to carb-load at lunch before the game. Chicken and plain pasta is the stereotypical meal. They also hydrate like mad. Here's a CBC article on recommended pre-game meals for junior players: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/ourg...ice-meals.html
I'm trying to avoid pasta for paleo reasons. Any ideas for gluten free carbo loading?

I also could try drinking more often.

Thanks guys for all your input, I really appreciate it!

teal is offline   Reply With Quote