View Single Post
Old
10-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleGuy View Post
That was an enjoyable game. Some nice plays by the Bombers.

I think Elliot earned himself another start today.
Elliott played well again...let's see if he can string together back to back performances. That will be a test for him. Has some potential, but consistency is the difference between many a backup versus real QB's.

Bored, so some random thoughts on this game and next season.

Brink looks to be done in WPG. Will need to move onto another system to have a CFL chance. Looks like he fell down to #4 on the depth chart behind Goltz. Too bad, as he is at least a decent backup (ala Jarious Jackson), but doesn't fit in here.

Pierce has to retire, he can't get hurt anymore. I think it'll be Elliott and Goltz back next year. Hopefully a backup ala Porter/Reilly/etc is brought in to compete with Elliott for the starting spot.

Kohlert played well today. Not a terrible option as the backup CDN receiver, decent possession guy. Was Poblah out? It still raises huge red flags about Etienne who cannot even get past #4 on the CDN receiver depth chart in his 2nd year. Not good signs.

Another solid if unspectacular game from Simpson. Simpson/Garrett should be an interesting battle in camp next year depending on how Garrett bounces back from his injury. Still think he has more explosiveness, fight, and speed than Simpson, although Simpson is more agile and smarter picking his holes.

The linebacking corps still needs some work, IMO. And the defense needs to find a way to create more pressure, even against a MTL who has a great O-Line. Losing Hall and Turner hurt bad, but guys like Vega/Collier/Kashama need to step up bigger. Secondary is hit and miss. Hard to protect against the pass as when as much time was given as today, but they were pretty solid. I am still partial to Hefney, but not sure if he really fits in longterm here. There's too many players there, some decisions will be need to made in the off-season.

The offense line is of course still the biggest concern. As Hank mentioned they are improving, but Mack (or another GM I hope) NEEDS to actually address the issue in the off-season. We need to get some real talent in. It is very unlikely we will have a star or even average QB next year again, we need the o-line to be solid.

A game like this shows that the season has some positives, it's not all gloom and doom. But that's all it is is signs. We need to go out and actually try to IMPROVE the team (what a novel concept I know it's hard to grasp Mack, but just try please!) and maybe we can improve as much as we need.