View Single Post
Old
10-08-2012, 10:56 PM
krazy kanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourlord View Post
This guy is right. I go to watch the Newmarket Hurricanes (provincial A) play all the time and they can barely draw a crowd. Big city, ticket prices are cheap and theres nobody there. The hockey isn't the best, but still.
... I didn't even think to mention the Hurricanes. When they were the 87's, the tickets were $1 and that was literally friends and relatives. I remember watching those games at the old Community Centre off main street with a few of my friends and almost everybody else there was related to the players...

If I remember right, the Saints were $8 and I think $6 for students. There might be 1,500 fans at those games, and then you would hear how excited neighbours and such were to go down to Leaf games at 5 to 10 times the cost. The funny thing about that - Harold Ballard was so crazy he had players up and down like a toilet seat during the week (likely to save on the per diem meal money). So you were literally watching many of the same players on Friday in Newmarket as were playing in Toronto on Saturday - just wearing a different jersey!

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote