View Single Post
Old
10-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
I'm very interested to hear what makes you think that players have such little control over where they hit a ball

People think batting coaches just serve the purpose of going over video and tweaking players stances/swings, but really haven't a clue about all of the other little things that go into it such as teaching how to control which field you can hit the ball to and either in the air or ground - how do you think hit and runs work? and if that player doesn't get it on the ground, he'll be riding pine or be getting an earful from his manager - or if guys are in scoring position you are going to try and hit behind the runners by letting the ball get deeper, etc - what makes you think Alfonso Soriano was moved with out hesitation (other than for who it was)? He swung at anything and everything and had no control which was well noted to annoy the Yankee brass, MLB teams don't want guys who are free swingers just hoping to hit the ball anywhere regardless of the situation

A-Rod hit it hard yes, but right at the fielder so no he doesn't get anything for that, not even a pat on the back, sorry this isn't little league

16 games and 3 full series of sub par hitting from your most expensive player during the most important time of the year is 16 games too many, there are no excuses
I don't disagree that players can influence if the ball is hit in the air or the ground, and that certain players swing at bad pitches. That much is obvious. What players have much more difficulty doing is controlling whether the 115mph drive off their bat is hit right at a fielder, or goes five feet to his right. That part is pretty random. The best thing a hitter can do is make good contact consistently, and more often than not he'll do well. That doesn't mean he won't run into bad streaks, though.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...position=3B/SS

Arod actually has a better batted ball profile in the postseason than the regular season. He hits more line drives (better for average) and fly balls (better for power) and less infield flies. His batting average on balls in play is the same though, while his HR/FB ratio is much lower. What this insinuates is that, for whatever reason, less of Arod's fly balls clear the fences and drop in for XBH. In addition, Arod strikes out a bit more, but also walks a bit more in the postseason.

I suspect that the slight reduction in Arod's postseason power numbers is due to facing better pitching. I'd be curious to see if there's a general decline in XBH in the postseason.