View Single Post
Old
10-10-2012, 11:48 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyFan View Post
That's fair on Grabner. I said Grabner was the guy people think Boedker will become, he may not be as fast as Grabner but Boedker brings a physical element that Grabner doesn't and if the playoffs are any indication of Boedker taking the next step, then he will be closer to grabner's level(which is a great checking winger) than people think in the goalscoring and defensive department(maybe not on the same level, but right under there wouldn't surprise me). Yeah, I'd say on the high-end grabner has 30goal potential and lots of breakaway chances, but eventually if d-men/forwards get the game plan on him, he realistically should be around a 17-25goal/yr guy. It's 1 thing to have the skills, it's another to be able to do be able to what you do with the competition knowing it's coming if that makes sense. I'm not even a Yotes fan either and Boedker extremely impressed me in the playoffs. I know that Grabner wouldn't be a 1st line forward for the Yotes, and they are full of middle 6 2-way/checking forwards so that's why I'm not sure they'd want him. But he would probably slot in nicely on the 2nd or 3rd line somewhere, so maybe. I just don't think they might value Grabner as much as they would a proven 20-25goal/yr scorer, not one who's production dropped noticably last year(not that it might not go up).

I think the Yotes would want a younger mid-pairish d-man back for depth/safety. They lost Aucoin and Roszival this offseason, Morris is 34, and schlemko/rublad may still be shotty and I'm not sure where Gormley is, but there defense could look ugly as hell with no d-man coming back and Yandle leaving, likely something like:

Klesla/OEL
Morris/Schlemko
Stone/not-sure-ready Rublad/Gormley

Too much unprovenness to count on for a recent playoff "winner".
Honestly, I think Grabner's floor is 20-goals. Considering how frustrated Isles fans were with him, and the fact that he still managed to pot 20 says something, IMO. I don't see him consistently putting up 34 like he did in 2010-11, but I'd say somewhere in the middle is probably where he'll even out. Something like 26-28 goals per year. Maybe a season here and there where he comes up short or exceeds that.

That said, I still like Rundblad as a backup option. Not sure what it would take, but he's definitely a guy I've had my eye on since that '09 draft. I think he'd be a good fit on the Island.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote