Thread: Value of: 2L or 3L Center to Buffalo
View Single Post
Old
10-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Stewie G

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
While Laich is merely "servicable" as a 2C or even-strength top six winger, he is far above that level in other roles (3C, powerplay contributer, etc). When the team is healthy, it's entirely possible that Laich can have a defined role and play it very well. And if we trade Laich, suddenly an injured Caps team finds guys like Chimera and Perreault anchoring top six spots again and Jay Beagle or Matt Hendricks centering the 3rd line.

Regardless of whether or not you'd prefer players with defined roles to Laich, what we have is Laich filling those important roles (2LW/3C, powerplay, PK, etc). We're not against the Cap nor are there quality free agents just waiting around to be signed with the money saved. The choice isn't between Laich + mystery player for Sekera, it's between Laich and Sekera.
If the Caps felt he was a servicable 2C, they wouldn't have had to get Ribiero. If they want to put him at 3C, he is tremendously overpaid. If they want to put him a 2LW, production on that line, especially at ES, will suffer.

Chimera, with lesser linemates for the most part, has scored 25 ES goals the last 2 years to Laich's 21. I feel that he could replace Laich on the PP and put up similar numbers, all for nearly $3M less each year.

Let's continue playing the "What If" game. What if Alzner gets hurt next year? I'd much rather the Caps have Perreault or Chimera filling in for Laich in the top 6 than having Schultz or Hamrlik at 1LD.

Sorry for the OT. The topic of Brooks Laich always gets me going.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote