View Single Post
Old
10-10-2012, 06:13 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellegrino View Post
Yes, he has. Not sure what the English term is, but what he has improved a great deal since last season is his "puck transportation", he's skating with the puck and making things happen, he was kinda "shy" last season. He's also a good passer and knows when to give the puck to a teammate.

My point was that, if he starts to produce points in the powerplay, his stats will be amazing. But even now, he's a very good two-way D-man. Can definitely see him play well in SEL/AHL next season. His current club Mora is a great place when you come from the J20 league, but he needs to play in a better league next season. Allsvenskan (SEL-2) is very good at the moment though, as there are lockouted NHL-players such as Anze Kopitar (plays with Vikstrand in Mora) Patrik Berglund, Douglas Murray, Gabriel Landeskog and Carl Hagelin playing in the league.
I think 'puck transportation' could roughly translate to a variety of different attributes (puckhandling, confidence/poise, tendency to rush the puck). I get what you're saying for sure. He's an interesting prospect and I'd love it if he could force his way into Sweden's top-4 for the World Juniors. It seems like he's got a decent shot at jumping Bystrom, at least.

Going forward, I'd agree that his next step is playing against SEL competition. I don't necessarily think he'll make the jump to the AHL next season, especially considering our backend's a little full in Binghamton right now.

Anyway, the updates are much appreciated. It's pretty much impossible for us to watch SEL2 games in North America. Best I can follow him is through the highlights that pop up on Hockeyallsvenskan and Mora's website.