View Single Post
Old
05-11-2006, 08:02 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
There are certain qualifiers though. I see the Canes as a perfect example of the 'best player' theory. Everyone's role changes because of the presence of Staal. Added to the fact that Cole now plays aginst most teams the way he plays against Mtl. you have top end talent maturing at the same time. The Canes had to suffer to be in position to draft Staal and Ladd. Mtl. hasn't ever gotten to that point.

If you need good forune to draft that type of player outside of the top few picks, you look to deal for someone if that's the way to go. Do we have a prospect of Stuart's equal to put together with atop forward like Sturm to get a Thornton ? Zednik and Komi aren't going to get the same return. I think Gainey sniffed around Bertuzzi, right or wrong, for that reason though, or that type of deal.

Buffalo is an example of the other rout a team can take. Fast, agressive team play. Briere has become elite, but in truth Buffalo is a model for teams with everyone on the same page.

Regarding staying away from mid level players to save for the home run, yeah, I'd love Kubina. I don't think 3.5 will get him though. I think the direction will be determined by whether the guys the staff wants, consider Mtl. as a viable destination. Kovalev and Koivu were in part signed, because they were willing to.