View Single Post
Old
10-11-2012, 06:27 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
bsl, I agree with most of your posts in this thread, but I'm not sure about this one. Just looking at leverage, I think the owners have a good, almost certain chance of getting their way in the end. Every few years, the CBA will get adjusted further in the owners' favor. It will get harder and harder for them to lose money, no matter how badly a franchise is run, no matter how hopeless the market. Entrance in "the club" will become more and more attractive to potential team buyers, so team values will rise, making for even more of a payoff at the end of the road. I think this is basically what Bettman was hired to do.

Once the league is committed to this cycle (under Bettman, they certainly are), I don't really see how the union can break it. Some kind of creative, unpredictable tactic, but I think Fehr is running out of options. It's not right from a hockey fan POV... but from a greed-head POV, Bettman is on the way to making this a ridiculously easy business. I just hope some of the owners take a step back and think about why they got into owning a team in the first place.
problem is, it's going to cost franchises... I think we can safely bet lesser markets will lose fans, some of them dont really have that many already so...