View Single Post
Old
10-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Alklha

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
even though he was the 4th overall pick i'd say pietrangelo was a HOME-RUN pick as well. he was a risk back at that draft and now he's become a norris caliber dman. I definitely put him in the top 5 in the league and he's still improving
I'd say Pietrangelo is a top 3 defenseman in the League, but my reference to the "home-run" pick was about guys we've drafted from playoff teams 1st round picks (14-30 range).

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3Devildog View Post
i don't recall anyone thinking Pietrangelo was a risk at the draft. I believe he was considered to be the least NHL ready (thanks to a bout of mono) but having the highest potential ceiling of the big 3 defensemen that year.
That was a bit of a crazy year. He wasn't a risk, but almost all scouts said the same thing... he had the highest ceiling of the 5 (Doughty, Bogosian, Schenn & Myers being the others) but he was the least likely to come close to their ceiling.

From what I heard at the time, if we had the third pick we would have taken Pietrangelo, the Leafs had Schenn rated above Pietrangelo and the Sabres had Myers either 3rd or 4th on their list and managed to get him at 12. And Karlsson wasn't even in the discussion!

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote