Thread: Proposal: Mtl-nyi
View Single Post
Old
10-11-2012, 03:32 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I think Subban is a better fit here than you seem to think he'd be. He is much more than just an offensive defenseman, if that's what you were implying with the Donovan and deHaan part.

Outside of Hamonic, we have no RH defensemen. Some people don't think this matters, but I think adding one more would really help balance things out. Mayfield is probably a couple of years off, and who knows if Russo or Kichton will ever make it to the NHL(same could be said for Mayfield, actually).

With Streit and Visnovsky both set to become UFAs, there's a chance that Hamonic, MacDonald and Carkner will be our only defensemen under contract going into 2013-14. I'd like to think that Streit will re-sign, but him leaving is a definite possibility. Since Carkner is a 3rd pairing guy, we'd only have Hamonic and MacDonald holding down top-4 spots. Even if one of deHaan or Donovan develop into top-4 players by then, that still leaves one open spot. Not to mention another open spot on the 3rd pairing. Reinhart should eventually be a top-4 guy for us(at least), but that is still probably a couple of years away.

I just don't see how bringing in a guy like Subban, who is only 23 years old, would do anything but help this team now and going forward. Even if the price is Reinhart, Nelson, +.
I've said I'd like to have PK Subban playing for the isles. He'd be a very good fit imo. I just disagree that Snow should badly overpay for him, when Snow has very promising youngsters either in the nhl now or knocking on the door.

There is a very long list of impending ufas, who'll be available in July 2013. I'd rather wait and see if we don't have a lowered salary cap and flooded ufa market. Look for that top 4 on the market or in a smaller trade.

When Snow announced before the 2012 draft, that he was looking for veteran blueliners, we had a bunch of trade proposals involving top NYI prospects and the lottery pick. Very few proposals were along the lines of the Vis trade that actually went down: a vet on a short term deal for a 2nd rounder.