View Single Post
Old
10-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Papi View Post
However, while I will remain open to whatever you putforth, (as you have not done wrong yet!) I have issues right away with a team being associated with modern warfare, either expressly or implied (i.e. Jets - their new uniform). Also, very unlikely, but still something that should maybe be given some consideration is that the association of a team and a still active regiment could lead to potentially awkward issue in the future. (i.e. the regiment's inclusion in an unpopular war, etc)

I don't doubt the bravery of the men who fought in the regiment, but from a purely historical point of view the fact that it participated in the Boer War is of concern. Canada's inclusion in the war was highly controversial between the French and the English, and stirred up a lot of $@!*. (My understanding is that you had the Loyalist Canadians, who wanted to fight for Britain, and then you had French Canadians who sympathized with the Boer's). So given Ottawa's makeup, I think that's a knock against the name.

Also, the coat of arms of the regiment appears to have Jesus on it, which, while religious symbols don't offend me, it can be a sticking point with others. I know that the team won't be representatives of the Regiment, or vice-versa - but as you would be establishing a link, I know you'll be weighing the pros and cons of the names.

I know this is a little bit over the top, and given how thorough you've been, I'm sure you've given this due consideration.
When you consider the knee-jerk "War bad!!" responses that things like this can be prone to, this was an insightful and educating response