View Single Post
Old
10-11-2012, 03:37 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
I will repeat, blame Nielsen Media Research. Their numbers, unscientific as they are, are why NBC shows who they show. It's not a matter of caring, its a matter of gross totals that can be taken to clients to sell TV spots.

If Nielsen says 600 people watch hockey in, say, St Louis (Nielsen occasionally says goofy things like this...really unrepresentative, unscientific sample size they extrapolate from...sometimes as little as 600 households for an area of 5 million), NBC can't get toothpaste companies or whatever, to buy commercials. So you just get Pittsburgh, Boston, Detroit, Philly, Washington, the Rangers and occasionally Buffalo. Those are the cities that do good Nielsens.
In the end the NHL can decide if they want to add more teams in Canada and NBC doesn't run the league, so who cares what they think. So if more Canadian teams more revenue and etc then it will be done and it's already proven that the 7 Canadian teams make a lot of the revenue.

With the exception of their Playoff series vs the Rangers in 2007 did NBC ever show any other Atlanta Thrasher games? I don't think they ever did and I doubt the NHL cared what they thought when they got moved to Winnipeg.