View Single Post
Old
10-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Nothing As It Seems
I only own my mind..

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
There's no reason why you should be living in pain for 8 years. Out of curiosity, how many pairs of skates have you had in those 8 years? Could it be skate fit?

Have you ever seen a PT about it? It's so hit or miss when looking for a good one, but once you got one, they can make a huge difference.
It's not skate fit; I've been fitted a few times in my life (obviously as I grew up) and I've been through 4-5 pairs of skates in those 8 years (currently in One100s; previously X:60s, XXXXs, etc.). I actually switched to the One100s I'm currently wearing because I felt that my foot had grown wider as I'd gotten older and wanted the wider fit of the Supreme cut. I can assure you that my skates are properly fitted and that the issue is not with my form or technique; I've been coached in power skating, played travel and college hockey and generally, if my skating has ever been mentioned by a coach or other observers, it's been praised as the best part of my game. And I'm not living in pain. I skate hard and about 60% of the time I experience strong pain in my anterior tibialis. Usually, it lingers for a day or two, but much less intense than when it was during the skate and it's not a big deal. Maybe I just put up with a lot more than others/have a higher threshold but as uncomfortable as it is (literally just feels like the muscle is so swollen/so tight stretched that it could rupture) I just figure it as the price to pay for playing a physically intensive sport. It doesn't really effect my game or my daily comfort; I may be a little sore walking around the next morning, but not much more so than I'd be anyways after my coach skated us in college or I hit the gym hard.

Playing college hockey and such, something was always sore anyways - be it bruises from blocking shots or quads from skating in practice. I never really even noticed that the pain in my shins was something unique from the routine soreness and bruises of playing a highly physical sport at a competitive level until I graduated a year ago and started experiencing it during pick up skates. I've looked into it online a few times out of curiosity because on rare instances, if I skate for 3-4 hours or I play 3 times in 3 days, the lingering pain might be more intense than usual and all I've found is that the anterior tibialis is not a muscle that typically gets an intense workout and when you put a lot of stress and weight on it it will get sore, like most muscles. The difference is just where it's located leads to more discomfort than when my chest is sore two days after I bench or my quads are sore after squats. I've always been really lazy about stretching and such but when I remember to I stretch the shins out by flexing my toes up and down for like 5 minutes before I skate; that usually prevents the pain entirely. When I forget to stretch I usually do the same exercises the next day to alleviate the soreness.

I really feel it's just a combination of my anatomy, my weight, the nature of skating, etc. and the muscle in that location is not proportionate to my weight/under-developed and gets aggravated when I push it. Just like trying to lift to much. If you're unfamiliar with it and you're beginning to skate again, I could see why it would be a red flag/make adjusting to ice a lot more difficult, but if you've been playing most of your life, it's just one of the many aches and ailments that result from playing hockey. At least that's how I've always looked at it. Like I said in my first post, the shins are sore today but I still walked a dozen or so blocks to work this morning without much problem and then went for a jog after work. To me, it's just part of the soreness associated with constantly being active.

Nothing As It Seems is offline   Reply With Quote