View Single Post
Old
10-11-2012, 09:25 PM
hbk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
I was pissed that we passed on Puempel and Jensen. I would have been happy with Jenner or Phillips but I wanted nothing to do with Grimaldi. Now, however, I wouldn't be happy that my team spent a first on any of those forwards. I like Jenner a lot but I don't see an outstanding NHL career in his future.

Connor Murphy is showing his true potential now, despite the rediculous list of injuries he's dealt with. It was bold picking him at 20, but no one can question the pick at this point. Makes me wonder if Keith Gretzky should have been kept.
Keith Gretzky kept? Absolutely not.

Keith had no feel for the draft. He panicked on Tikhonov and it cost us a 2nd rounder. He wanted to select Visentin in the early 20's until Maloney stepped in and traded down to pick up an extra pick rather than jumping on a goalie who while a good project wasn't in danger of getting picked until the 2nd round

The job of a Director of Scouting is to have a feel where a guy is on other teams list. It's not just talent assessment. If you read the Art of Scouting book it is apparent that other teams knew our list almost too well. There's an art to sharing information but it read like everyone knew our list. We were going to take Ekman Larssen and everyone knew it. It was astute selection no question but Gretzky led the group that identified the potential asset. He wasn't the scout based in Europe (and who knew that Ruutu is no longer our head European scout?) who made the call.

Maloney knows this position well. I trust his judgement when it comes to the draft.