View Single Post
Old
10-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
NHL has more games per season, is faster paced, and with much better competition. I just don't see Hasek being anything more than a backup in the NHL if he stayed.

He only played more than 43 games once since 2001-02, that being 56 games in 2006-07. In his final NHL season (2007-08), he played 41 games with a 0.902 save percentage and lost his job to Osgood very early in the playoffs.

I really don't see what playing well in a lesser league adds to his resume when we saw that he was barely an NHL starter anymore when he left.

I think that people who say Hasek had less longevity than Roy or Brodeur are wrongly neglecting the time he was an international superstar from the mid 80s on. But I also think that people who say that he has more longevity are also missing the big picture. If Roy had spent 6 seasons in the AHL after leaving the NHL, does that make him a better player? I don't think so.

Hasek's KHL accomplishments are nice, but do you think the Czech Republic would ever consider him for the World Championships based on his play there? The last time he played internationally for them was 2006.

I don't think any of Roy, Brodeur, or Hasek has a significant longevity advantage over the others. We don't give Chelios a longevity advantage over Bourque just for sticking around, do we?

Dryden is the only outlier here when it comes to longevity as an NHL-calibre player IMO.
Again, back to the bolded part. How does a 1.79 GAA in an 18 game playoff run (and 2nd best regular season GAA and SO totals in the league) just 12 months before retirement = "barely an NHL starter anymore"? If you're basing your statement on your observation of the 12 months that followed that run, then, like I said... injuries that season were pretty obviously a more major factor than any significant/"permanent" drop in performance level. It was a complete outlier (especially statistically) in that he stopped a far lower percentage of shots faced than any of the 13 seasons before... except for his injury shortened '03/04.

As for Hasek being chosen for international play in his final years, well, looking at the performance of Stepanek, Pavelec, and Vokoun internationally over the past few years I don't think they ever felt forced to use Hasek anyway. And you know what, if he had actually approached them in any of those years and said he wanted to join, even if it meant as bench depth, they probably would have taken him. He took the past Olympic year off for rest, though, so the Czech hand was forced somewhat there (and Vokoun played just fine).