View Single Post
Old
10-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Duir
Registered Bunk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
It's actually a copy and paste from a long back and forth, as can be noted by some of it being a response to slightly off topics (like the value of a goal)... so it wasn't a response to just this... it all stemmed from me saying that if Scheifele doesn't play super well in a big role in the WJC this year doesn't mean that he's going to be a player that doesn't play well in "big games"

but basically there has been no evidence that anyone changes "or wants it more" in playoffs because they don't "want it less" when it's not playoffs. Ya it's a different level and the checking is tighter so scoring levels go down... but pretty much everyone in the NHL wants it harder... everyone is of a pretty high cut to be in the NHL and that's why you don't see anyone who actually does better in playoffs than normal...

Including Claude L. his ppg is same in playoffs and reg season.

There is no variation in playoffs that's different than regular season games at any point in the year... so how can people be "playoff performers" and "dissapearers" if there is no increase in extremes?

And ps I don't think it was diatribe... there was no personal attack on it.
Actually, there is:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...utch-performer

The author does a great job at maintaining balance but does show evidence of how there can be a clutch performer in sports. The author gives the mentally and the physiological strains on a high stakes game, or playoff, or Olympic event and says that that there is a clutch is the opposite of choking.

http://www.athleticinsight.com/Vol6I...erformance.htm

Good article by an academic articulating the difference of a regular season prep to a playoff one. Clearly showing that stress, pressure, media, spotlight, and all sorts of intangibles can effect a players game. His job? To ensure that that the player is physically and mentally ready. Like the aforementioned article stated, a persons mind and body optimal stress reflect can be the difference between a players best game and their worst game.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ch-performance

A good unbiased article of the mystery of clutch performers. The point I like in this one that is that ones response to stress (i.e. playoffs, Olympics) is related to skill set and experience. I think that is extremely important. This combined with mental and physical preparation can show that there can be such thing as a clutch performer. To rely of stats like PPG is fine, but there are intangibles that obviously can't be calculated, like passion, confidence, experience, etc. These need to be considered. Oh, and the reason why I picked Claude Lemieux in the playoffs was not because of his PPG (he did win the Conn Smyth one year), it was because he had the 'X' factor to raise his teammates up as well. You knew that a role player like him stepped up and during his prime he WAS money in the playoffs.

Duir is offline   Reply With Quote