View Single Post
Old
10-12-2012, 12:46 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
The one area where it is flawed is that it doesn't differentiate between a barely-above average performance and a 70-save shutout. I mostly use it to measure consistency or as a short-hand tool to see where goalies lost composure in playoff series - which means a lot, in my opinion (think Giguere in the 2003 Finals).
Yeah, it doesn't replace cumulative save percentage, but definitely adds something to it. Whereas cumulative save percentage would show a goalie with 5 above average games to be the same as a goalie with 3 amazing games and 2 awful games, quality starts would have the first one at 5-0 and the second one at 3-2.

Quote:
I almost feel guilty doing the chart with Brodeur, because for all of the reasons that save percentage is unfair to him, when you look at a binary good game or bad game evaluation, he has a lesser margin of error than Hasek and Roy.
Right. When you face few shots, one single shot is much more likely to push you below or above average.

(It also doesn't take into account Brodeur's weird home/road situation or puckhandling, etc, but you know that).