View Single Post
Old
10-12-2012, 03:18 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
possibly the most potent offensive forward and best defenseman in this series are spares!
I never use the word "spares" and don't like the concept. I have a 7th defenseman and take for granted that OF COURSE he's part of the team and is dressed to play sometimes, as is usually the case in a 7-game series, and certainly over an entire postseason.

An extra forward also often sees ice time, due to injuries, suspensions, special skillsets and simply because the team needs a shake-up sometimes when trailing in a series. That happens so frequently in hockey playoffs that I expect that you all don't see extra skaters as window dressing but as legitimate parts of the squad.

Zhitnik is a 5th-6th-7th defenseman in an all-time context on any championship-calibre team, and I say that as a fan of his strengths: risk-taking rushes, slappers and physical bodychecks. I see him as part of the 5th-7th slot. The Canaries top-4 is set and reliable, the core, whereas Zhitnik brings his skills to the team when trailing, on the powerplay when a boost is needed, and in energy. His minutes would be sheltered to MAXIMIZE his skillset on a winning team (I know I know he was overplayed on a woeful Buffalo squad for years; I watched his career and always thought him overplayed. Of course, MLD 2012 somehow sees a playoff-awful and defensive-challenged Mike Green handling top pairing minutes for anti-historical reasons).

Russ Courtnall is an ideal fit for Spokane because he can substitute at center for Allison when needed or provide extra offense if trailing in the series by coming in for the powerplay and some scoring line regular shifts in a shuffle that would probably see Bell seated and whichever right winger is not scoring at the moment demoted in the line-up slots. Anyways, I expect a genius like coach Starsi to make the right decision on game day. He often made great decisions and led the Czechoslovakians over the Soviets several times in the 1970s. We drafted tthree Soviet coaches in the all-time draft but not the arguably greatest Czechoslovakian coach? I respect Hlinka, but his reputation is built on his playing first and foremost, and if one looked just at his coaching, he shouldn't be consistently drafted as an all-time great coach ahead of Starsi in the ATDs.

Last edited by VanIslander: 10-12-2012 at 03:31 PM.
VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote