View Single Post
10-13-2012, 12:54 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Kesler is a whiny *****, diver and cheap shot artist. Lazar is none of those things. He plays an honest game and he plays hard. He is very fast, I dont know if I would compare him to Kesler in that regard, but he is just a kid and Kesler is a full grown man.

Ive watched him live lots over the last two years and am confident in my assessment. I may be a little optimistic, but he has the skills, the attitude (both on and off the ice), is strong on his feet, can fight, is good defensively, can hit, and has a very good shot with a very quick release.

All of that is gold to scouts. Add in the fact he is a center, who can also play wing and it makes the package even sweeter.

If he can put together a forty goal season (I think he can) he will be in the conversation for a top ten pick imo.
Heh, I can see you don't like Kesler, but I wasn't try to compare their personalities, just their strengths/weaknesses on the ice. He reminds me of Kesler because they're both speedy centres with great shots, decent but not amazing playmaking, who are physical but not hitting machines. Both are quite versatile on offence, they can stand in front of the net and get garbage goals or snipe from the perimeter, and both are responsible defensively. Both are guys you could play at centre or on the wing. They just seem to have a lot in common, though as I mentioned before Kesler is taller, and his speed is more game breaking. Of course, as with all players, comparisons aren't that useful, everyone is their own player, and similar style does not necessarily mean similar upside. But watching Lazar, I am reminded most of Kesler, though I don't mind the Doan comparison either.

Also, agreed that he could be in the conversation for a top 10 pick, I just thought that before you were saying he was a top 10 lock, and could go top 5. I can't see him going top 5 personally, because this is just such a strong draft (at centre alone I prefer MacKinnon, Barkov and Monahan, and while I haven't watched Lindholm personally, he sounds sick too).

With all that being said, I've only seen Lazar once this year, and a handful of times last year, so I've seen much less of him than you. I definitely like him, I can see him becoming a good NHLer, but I'm not sure I see him becoming a big time star at the NHL level.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote