Thread: KHL Expansion
View Single Post
Old
10-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Faterson

vCash: 500
I believe teams should have to earn the privilege of starting in the KHL, instead of buying it. I know the KHL is trying to copy the NHL where teams buy their participation in the league, but... it's hardly fair.

What I mean by that, is relegation. Right now, the KHL is still manageable with 26 teams (although I hate the regular season ending so soon, in early February). I can't imagine a KHL with 40 teams, let alone any higher number supposedly envisioned by Mr. Medvedev.

So I think the worst 2 or 3 teams should drop out of the KHL every year. It won't happen, but it would be fair. It works in European football leagues. Take the Edmonton Oilers... Number 1 draft pick how many times in recent years, but they have nothing to fear -- their place in the NHL is guaranteed, no matter how badly they play. It's an American sports league business model, different from European.

So I'd say... let any team join the KHL... but if they finish last in the table, replace them with a new team the next season. Of course, the team that got kicked out would get the chance to get back in if they win their national/regional league again.

Now, wouldn't that be fair?