View Single Post
Old
10-13-2012, 12:16 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Samuelsson has the genes, the Team USA experience and a good physical dimension to his game. I was not at all surprised to see Pheonix take him as a first rounder (although concensus was that he'd go somewhere between 40-90).

To date, some have expected more, but I think he's got that power game aspect that simply takes some time. He could be a real goodin' at some point. I'm thinking there's good reason to believe he'll be a Callahan type one day in the NHL.

As for Reinhart, I've hardly seen him play, but I always fear the 'Wishart' possibility when it comes to tall, lesser physical WHL Dmen. Always. And yes, until he turns into a bruiser, I will have my worries. Chris Pronger, for example, first really started making an impact when his physical edge and take-no-prisoners game developed.

I was very OK with our picking him 4th though, because he too has the genes, is obviously respected from a leadership perspective and simply possesses certain physical attributes that, uhh, can't be taught, but only inherited. He also was a cog in Edmonton's WHL championship and run to the Memorial Cup. In addition, I talked to several scouts last spring at the U18 tourney who expressed that at least they felt he might be the best all-round Dman available in the draft and also felt the need to point out that he was likely higher on all NHL team lists than we'd be seeing on ISS, CSS or TSN.

This said, I have fully come into this season, looking at his team's line-up and his experience to date, thinking that he should be having a Dougie Hamilton type of impact. That's not what we're seeing right now.

Someone asked me in early September what I expected of him this year. At the time, I said
65 games, 15-40-55, 50 PMs and a +30 rating and another WHL title. I did however also mention that I did not expect to see him suiting up for Team Canada at the WJC in Ufa (where I still hope to be).
It's all about expectations, I am just looking for Reinhart to continue to improve in all facets throughout the season. The kid has a package of tools that is really impressive and he was a progression pick. While it would be nice if he put up those type of numbers now, I am in no rush with him. Defenseman usually take longer to develop anyway, especially big ones like him.

I think he's definitely on the short list for Team Canada and a virtual lock to make the team. If you look at the projected blue line, there is no one else that brings his skillset and package available. With Strome and Reinhart with Pelech a darkhorse, it should be a really exciting WJC for Isles fans.