View Single Post
10-13-2012, 03:10 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
It depends - I think the census metro population for Oshawa is bigger than Saskatoon b/c it would include Whitby and Clarington.

This puts Oshawa at 356,000 and Saskatoon at 260,000.

In any event, Saskatoon would not be an appropriate place for an NHL team...that's for sure. Neither would Halifax for that matter.

The next team should go to Quebec. After depends. I would like to see one in the GTA or at least SW Ontario. I guess it depends what the Leafs (and maybe Buffalo)...b/c otherwise they may end up in an ugly fight over territory rights...I know before MLSE said a team couldn't come here w/o their permission...and the NHL said one could - so it might not be easy if the Leafs kick up a fuss

Why is the lower mainland never mentioned for another team? ... too small to support 2?
It could happen. Vancouver has really grown strong recently and have quickly become one of the most important franchises in the hockey world.

Bettman has gone on record saying a team needs three things to survive. Fans, owner and an arena.

Just using the arena as a gauge then these are the suitable rinks in Canada for teams. I'm using Winnipeg's 15000 as the bar.

Bell Centre - 21,273 (Habs)
Saddledome - 19,289 (Flames)
Corel Centre - 19,153 (Senators)
ACC - 18,819 (Leafs)
Rogers Arena - 18,810 (Canucks)
Copps Coliseum (Hamilton) - 17,383
Rexall Place - 16,893 (Oilers)
Pacific Coliseum (Vancouver) - 16,281
CUC (Saskatoon) - 15,195
Colisee Pepsi (Quebec) - 15,127
The MTS Centre - 15,005 (Jets)

So there are 11 NHL sized rinks in Canada. I have no idea on the conditions of Hamilton's or Vancouver's second ones. I do know that Quebec is building anew and that Saskatoon's doesn't have the luxury sweets.

Now, this is ignoring ownership and fans. But barring four+ years to get an arena built, these are the only available options in Canada right now.