View Single Post
Old
10-13-2012, 07:03 PM
PdashOw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofdo View Post
This article is more what the owners want to say than anything else. I would have liked to see some of the ‘facts’ challenged.
Fanofdo, your first point is well taken. Franchise value does not come up in the interview.

As for your second concern, I'm not sure how you expect me to verify whether or not Ciccarelli has received offers to keep the team in Sarnia. That stuff isn't public record. At some point, you do have to take their word on that. As for the rest, the OHL isn't going to comment on whether or not they'd allow a hypothetical move to a hypothetical place when the team isn't even actively (according to the owner) selling.

"Why" the franchise is losing money is addressed in that article to a certain extent (from the owners' perspective): they haven't had playoff success to bring in playoff dollars, and they have been running with a budget that was too high and is being lowered. Are there more factors? Probably. That's a big question.

Why they haven't experienced on-ice success wasn't really the point of the article, which was a discussion about economics, as I said earlier in response to Baldy. The two, while often coinciding, aren't always the case. You can have a losing hockey team that makes money, for example. The interview mostly stayed on economic topics.

To answer your final question, if a restaurant that drew ~3000 patrons/ night and had their servings broadcast on the radio and TV and was regularly featured in our paper was willing to talk about their finances, then yes, we probably would run something similar. The Observer does have a weekly business column where we cover issues such as opening and closing businesses.

If you have more issues with my reporting, feel free to send me a private message and I will address them if I can.

EDIT: To be clear, I don't care if you believe Ciccarelli or not, but I do believe this piece to be honestly reported and in depth. Perfect? Absolutely not. But genuine and as well verified as I could make it.

Last edited by PdashOw: 10-13-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Addition.