Thread: Prospect Info: St. Louis Blues Top Prospect #20
View Single Post
Old
10-14-2012, 10:24 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Huh? Just because a young player doesn't make an AHL roster doesn't mean he doesn't have a chance to eventually make an NHL roster. It might have more to do with Peoria having a boatload of bottom six forward candidates. Everything has to be considered in context. Peluso is older, and more ready to handle a regular spot on an AHL line, and act as the team's "tough guy", doesn't mean Beach has any less upside than he'd have if Peluso wasn't around and Beach made that same AHL roster.

Assignment to an ECHL roster doesn't retard Beach's development towards eventually getting on an NHL roster. His playing on a second line in The ECHL and getting a lot more ice-time and playing in a 2-way role (including scoring responsibility) might round out his overall game better than had he gotten less time on a 4th line in The AHL. We're looking at a 3-4 year period here.

As Iowa stated above, you can pick just about ANY of the prospects left, and make a case for or against, with equal uncertainty.
Absolutely Robb K! I would rather see the prospects that we have play first and 2nd line or top 4 defense minutes than ride the pine on a level they don't necessarily belong on at this point in their career. Beach benefits from playing as much as possible, not being pidgeoned holed as a 5 minute a game tough guy. He has third line upside, and I would rather try to develop him to hopefully reach that goal.

The Evansville relationship needs to be used for that very goal. Play our prospects 15 to 20 minutes a game in all responsibilities. I like moving Sonne and Shattuck down, if they aren't going to play over 10 minutes a game. This was why I was so high on keeping Schwartz down. Let him be the 25 minutes a game star at a higher level. He has that potential at the next level. His cup of coffee last year showed he needed some tweeking for the next level. Use the Red Wing example of developing players. Like them or not...they get it done.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote