View Single Post
Old
10-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Zip15

vCash: 500
Watched the first two periods last night, and caught the highlights today. Saw some good stuff, some not as good stuff. That wasn't a game I expected them to win, what with playing the night before (Toronto was off), playing on the road, and playing a team with as much quality as the Marlies have for that level.

I liked Girgensons and Pysyk most. Some other guys had some good and bad (Foligno, Brennan). Rochester had its opportunities to put up some goals--the missed 2-on-1 in the first with Girgs/Rankin; Girgs' botched break in the second; Legault's missed breakaway; a nice save by Scrivens on Mancari--but couldn't convert, and Toronto converted many of its opportunities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
I don't really think that's fair. The guy had an unpressured, albeit unscreened, shot from the center of the ice inside the top of the circles. That's prime scoring area. There's a reason that guy was one of the brightest young dmen in the NHL last year too.
I think the Sportsnet guys got that one right when they attributed the lion's share of the fault to the PK forwards being so slow in getting back. Toronto came over the line with a 5-on-2 because Porter and Foligno were late. That set up the drop pass and Gardiner had the option of shooting, or dishing it off if a defenseman challenged him which would've created a 2- or 3-on-1 down low.

Quote:
That 2nd Marlies goal was a thing of beauty, just awesome puck movement.
Very pretty goal. Would've liked Schiestel to be just a tick quicker in getting back to Hamilton, but that was tough to stop.

Quote:
MacKenzie got handled on that goal that was waved off. I'm a big fan of his, didn't notice him much on Friday night which isn't a bad thing at all with him. Not sure how he looked last night, but he didn't look good on that play.
Looked like he lost an edge just before he lost the battle in the corner, and maybe didn't have his bearings back when he was engaged. Still, that wasn't pretty.

Didn't love Brennan last night, either. He picked off the pass in the neutral zone that turned into Foligno's goal, but he got caught in no-man's land on Toronto's third goal. I want more from him at this stage of his development curve.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote