View Single Post
Old
10-14-2012, 07:02 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Problem is is that the AHL team has to be competitive and throwing out all those guys without the steady vets to show them the ropes would be a nightmare. The Janik/Paetch's etc are needed there to help mentor those young guys. Fournier is what, 23 and hasnt secured a spot on the griffs blue line? I think the organization has probably seen enough.

Almqvist and Nicastro will get their looks for different reasons. Nicastro is HUGE out there, watching the game you can see it. He has everything to be a perfect number 6, physical shot blocker, and Almqvist has some saavy that you dont see all that often. I'm iffy on his size though.
Fournier just turned 21 in September, but I understand your point. The Griffins are pretty nice compared to a lot of other AHL teams in terms of letting the Red Wings dictate some of what they do. At the end of the day they are still a business and need to win after three years out of the playoffs.

I just am a little unimpressed by who they brought in thus far. AHL vets are important and getting to the playoffs is important for development of our younger guys. When both the parent club and AHL club crashed out of the playoffs last year that was a lot of lost time for our guys to be in systems and playing games and practices. The Griffins need to make the playoffs this year and they have the roster to do it should they get the right goaltending. Still stunned MacDonald didn't go down on waivers, he has almost no shot at an NHL gig and per his contract would have been paid a full NHL salary to be in Grand Rapids this year. Really a head scratching decision by him and his camp.