View Single Post
Old
10-14-2012, 11:43 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Isn’t this a lot like saying that Nicklas Lidstrom had a ‘fuller career’ than Bobby Orr, though? Doesn’t make him better.

The distinction I would make is this :

Patrick Roy had the best career of any goalie in NHL history.

Dominik Hasek is the best goalie in NHL history.
Or...Roy has one of the best careers in NHL history.
Hasek had the highest peak of any goalie in NHL history.

Either way it comes down to Roy's 17 year unmatched playoff dominance vs Hasek's 5-7 year, more regular season, unmatched dominance.

And while I can see some very loose relevance to Hasek = Orr.
I see no relevance to Lidstrom = Roy other than their regular season performances and that's not a dig at Lidstrom either as I don't see any player or goalie matching Roy in playoff performance period.
Quote:
Again, what Hasek did from 1993-99 was absurd. On a garbage team, he dominated like no other goalie in the history of the sport –was the equivalent of winning scoring titles by 30 points.

Career-wise, no, it doesn’t compare to Roy who was at the top of the sport for twice as long and ticked more boxes while he was there. But Roy was never the best player in the sport. Hasek was, for several seasons.
Except from April till June where he was most certainly the best player in the sport many times.

Quote:
Keep in mind as well that Hasek played at arguably the deepest period ever in terms of goaltending (save maybe the late 1950s) and utterly dominated against Roy/Brodeur/Belfour/etc. at their peaks. Led the league in save % 6 straight years. First-team All-Star 5 times in 6 years (only losing to Carey in a joke of a vote). 6 Vezinas. 2 Harts.
Except in the playoffs which is of course the heaviest part of Roy's resume.

The bottom line with these two comes down to where you assign your weights in Career vs Peak vs Playoffs.

Last edited by Rhiessan71: 10-14-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote