View Single Post
Old
10-15-2012, 12:07 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
Flames may be resisting such a rebuild, but eventually it will come to Calgary.

The longer they wait, and not get future long term assets for current short term assets, they harder it will be when it does come. And it will come.
That may very well be true, and that day may indeed be coming. I'm on the fence of such a rebuild but its not black and white when it comes to trading Iginla.

Unless they get a homerun offer for Iginla like getting a Couturier in return (which I doubt will happen) then I don't see the point in trading our captain. There are far to many unknowns to risk moving him and I don't see the benefit of moving him unless such an offer presents itself. I don't view our future as bleak as some may paint it to be.

If even 2 of Baertschi, Jankow, Gaudreau, Reinhart or Granlund hit their ceilings which is probable, and the Flames have success in signing one high profile FA, then I think the direction we are moving towards is fine and we will remain competitive for quite some time.

Calgary is a rich city and our owners have shown they are willing to spend to the cap. You look at a team like the Wild and that shows anything is possible. I think the Flames are trying to follow the Rangers model of maintaining the status quo and drafting smart. If that turns out to be successful and FA's see that, I think the Flames can be can successful in the near future.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote