Old
10-15-2012, 01:31 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
i'm just going by the rumours, which to my knowledge haven't been verified, about torres and the things he had said around players' wives (in particular, higgins').

if that, and not the eberle/seabrook hits, is what caused him to go, then we can't pin this one on the locker room or leadership group. some guys are loose canons: avery is the best example that comes to mind. no amount of veteran leadership can get through to some people-- again, i'm assuming that this is true of torres, though actually none of us know.

many things can fracture a locker room. some are avoidable, some are manageable, some are not. when wives get involved, historically you have to cut out the disruptive part. there is no repairing that.

all that said, if torres was a solid citizen and the rumours are false, if it wasn't a choice between higgins and torres, and if it really did come down to a second year on a sub-$2 million salary, then i would have liked to have him back too. there is the other factor of icetime, though, which i think torres has pointed to in his decision to sign with phoenix (not that that worked out great for him, but i think he said he had to give himself another shot to establish himself as a top 6 scoring winger like when he scored 25 in edmonton).
I agree with this. If Torres was the type of guy away from the ice as some rumors have suggested then it made sense to move on. I still think we need another player like him though. Maybe Kassian takes that role this year? I would prefer someone more established though, but in the long run it may not matter.