View Single Post
10-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Skater turned Goalie
vCash: 500
Just an update...

2nd day out at my Goalie clinic (yesterday) went well. I was gaining confidence, my slides were better, I made some equipment adjustments that helped. I feel I have quick reflexes as the coaches say, but I have a ton of work to do on fundamentals still (crease awareness, rebound recovering, when to go down, when not..ect) Played a game at the end (forget the name) they take 1st shot, if it goes in they get a break away, if not they shoot again. Well I did awesome. I stopped 11 of 12 and just felt good. They recorded us and will post some videos on youtube, once they do I will link and let you guys know.

Today sucked. Now that my clinic is over I went to open hockey. Well there wasn't that many people there (3) and I was the only goalie. No scimmage, just shooting around. Some former Euro player just worked me. I believe in tough competition makes you better, but right now I'm in confidence building mode. EVERYONE just wants to line up break away after break away after break away. It's not what I wanted and I was just getting worked and got me extremely fatigued. This Euro dude had a wicked shot. Hit me in my exposed arm (already huge bruise) in the same damn spot. Then he skulled me twice. I was getting pissed because he ONLY shot high. His shots were very quick and I started to flinch/blink. I knew that was a ****** sign. I didn't want to get hit in the upper arm again and I don't mind the face as much but it impacted me. I just skated away and worked on slides and T's by myself. Once I recovered I asked the guys to just take some shots from top of circle so I can get warmed up and shake this off. They did (other than the old pro) and I felt normal again. I let him come in again and shoot his high shots (skulled again) but I wasn't flinching any more. Good sign, but I hope this isn't a re-occurrence. Then they did some 2 on 0s and I did ok but pretty much wore down pretty quick again. I'm in decent shape but not Goalie shape! & not close to what I was at the beginning of the summer. I have to step up my P90x and turn my runs into sprints.

Chest protector was pissing me off so I ordered this. Exactly how mine will look. Thanks to Hugo (& Hank!) for the help & can't wait! Passau

Then I ordered some Passau Knee Guards too. The Bauer ones I have just suck. Can't get them to feel right at all. A guy had the Passau ones at the clinic and they seemed great and he loved them.

I'll be getting some 1 on 1 coaching shortly. Other than that, what do you guys think is the best practice? I was thinking of open hockey again tomorrow where people just mess around and NOT scrimmage, but I'm starting to think that a pick-up scrimmage might be better? I just wanted to get some more basics down before I did that but maybe that is the best experience I could get?

Thanks again guys. Look forward to your responses!

Last edited by FreshNsoClean: 10-15-2012 at 04:59 PM.
FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote