View Single Post
Old
10-15-2012, 08:24 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
I know I'm known as the alignment fanatic. But I was referring to the objective of being a nationwide League with the potential of getting some assemblance of a national TV contract. I don't believe that the NHL has given up on TV broadcast revenue, but I also don't see how more teams in the east, especially the Canadian east, can aid in building broadcast revenue in the States. I can imagine that NBC, for instance, would be really thrilled with two new Canadian teams. But yes, there could be growth in League revenue in Canada, but again with such an expansion I don't see any potential growth in the game's actual fanbase at all. As I said in the previous post, such an expansion would be a sign that the League is entrenching in its area of strength, and appear to be backing away from further development of the US market. This especially also after just having one US team relocate to Winnipeg. And even if Seattle were to get the Coyotes, still for anyone with an eye, it looks like hockey, if not becoming a Canadian league is entrenching as a border and northward league.
The league sent Atlanta to Winnipeg and then signed a $2billion deal with NBC.

I dont think NBC cares about these markets where they get something like 300 viewers.