Thread: Value of: Top 6 Winger to Washington
View Single Post
Old
10-15-2012, 10:33 PM
Halpysback

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i guess this is all we are going to get this season. bench hockey. it is what it is. downie does not fill the role brouwer plays for the caps at all. he's not that good. he doesnt kill penalties. even if he was not a loose cannon that was ditched by both his nhl teams because he was out of control too often and hurt his team, i would not want to replace brouwer with downie.

i guess i could see him as a space creator for ovechkin and backstrom, but then there is that out of control thing the flyers couldnt focus and that yzerman just didnt want.
He's leagues ahead of Brouwer defensively, significantly better along the boards, and better at keeping the play alive and creating space. Brouwer's stick is where plays go to die. He may be faster and have a better shot but Downie has that same ability to tilt the ice through smart gritty (and sometimes dirty) plays that Perry has, though obviously not to the same extent. He always killed in +/- in TB no matter the quality of competition. If he doesn't lose his head he's a very valuable player with the right linemates. Yzerman dumped him because he has a ridiculous amount of cheap wing prospects ready to graduate and because he got a 1st back. Avalanche fans have nothing but great things to say about him.

Didn't realize we needed more Beagles for the penalty kill.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote