Thread: Skate Sharpener
View Single Post
Old
10-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Stickchecked

vCash: 500
This is my personal experience with FBV: I jumped on the FBV cut when it came out. I initially liked it, took a few months break from skating, and then started up again with it and really, really disliked it. I felt that the extra glide felt sloppy when going straight. And I really didn't like the extra half-second/lean that it took for my edge to grab the ice when turning. It felt so bad that I distrusted my ability to stop quickly and started to feel unsafe during games. Granted, once the edge bites the ice, it's like riding a railroad track. But the transition really bothered me.

In the end, I ended up going back to a normal cut and a more shallow 1/2" than I had been using.

I will add the caveat that, while I'm a strong skater, I've learned recently that I have poor core stability and that definitely could have played into why the "glide" felt sloppy to me. And like I said, when I first got FBV, I really liked it. I get my skates sharpened at the same place all the time but it's possible they changed something during the break I took. I know the first time, there were no cut measurements for FBV.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote