View Single Post
Old
10-16-2012, 09:25 AM
domdo345

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
I think it's a very good thing for him to learn the defensive side of the game, and there aren't much better spots for an 18-year-old to learn than in the SEL. We already know Collberg has offensive hockey sense.

Coaches at all levels, and in particular the NHL, want all of their players to be good defensively. It's the first thing coaches look for - a player's defensive hockey sense.
We need to be patient with him this season. It is frustrating to see him playing an irregular shift, but he is playing, and learning his defensive responsibilities in a very good league.

He also needs to put on some muscle, and Frolunda has off ice facilities that equal or surpass many NHL gyms. He will be surrounded by veterans who know what it takes to play at the highest level, which includes discipline off the ice and a strong work ethic and attention to defensive details.

We must also remember that he will be away for several weeks practising with the U-20 team and playing in the WJC, where it's expected he'll play a key role and have plenty of ice time.
That's a good point but aren't you scared a little that he gets scared of trying something offensively? because he's playing less than 10 mins a night and an error could mean no more ice time... I'm a bit scared his offensive flair gets suffocated. There's plenty of players that had a good offensive flair only to dump and chase the puck in big leagues because they lost that creativity/ scared of their ice time. To me collberg is kind of a top 6 (top 9 if we roll 3 offensive lines) or miss guy. But I guess the u-20 will greatly help his confidence because the play will seem much slower coming from a higher level of competion.