View Single Post
Old
05-12-2006, 01:14 PM
jester099

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill pickles
While I agree, my bottom line is as follows:

Praising Burke is like praising Quinn while he was GM in Toronto. Both built solid teams, never won a cup. Gainey has.
Winning the cup is tough. It's not only talent, and grit, and everything. You can have the perfect team but fall short anyway... Truth is there are 30 contenders at the start of the season. And if you disagree with that statement, think about what chances you gave Carolina at the start of the season.

You have to get the good bounces from time to time.

Anygiven year, looking at the rosters at the start of the season, how many can tell who's going to win ? Nobody.

The Canucks are not a team I like particularly, but they had a very good team under Burke, and the GM put them in a position where they could win if they got the good bounces. They still have a very decent team, as I believe they were victim of injuries, unfortunate off-ice distraction and a very, very tough schedule. (8 games each against Colorado, Calgary and Edmonton is very tough... Even Min finished over .500)

In many of the last seasons, the west was very tough, with the Wings, the Stars, the Avs... Sometimes even those team didn't get through.

I think every year, Burke put the 'nucks in a position where they could go all the way, and it's really the only thing a GM can do.