View Single Post
Old
10-16-2012, 03:19 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post

There is, by the way, no reason to seperate Americans in this analysis. Americans have been playing and starring in the NHL for more than 100 years (Si Griffis is the oldest American HHOFer, I believe). The expansion of population in the American hockey hotbeds needs to be taken into account when one evaluates north america, certainly, but I sort of take it as a given that we're already doing that. American talent has had its own ebb and flow, but seperating it in a discussion about European impact only confuses matters. For all intents and purposes, the north american hockey talent pool is a single entity.
I'm not so sure about that. There was a fairly significant American talent pool early on, but it basically died out around World War 2 - you had Brimsek come back from the war, but really no knew American talent anymore. And while there were occasionally American NHLers afterwards, the league was 95%+ Canadian all the way through the 1970s and none of the Americans that were there were threats to any awards. There was a huge influx of American talent into the NHL after the Miracle on Ice.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 10-16-2012 at 04:32 PM.
TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote