Old
10-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
A car post from a car n00b.

First, here arer pictures of my new toyota corolla, which is my first car, previously I have only driven rentals (maybe 800 km total), plus maybe 50 hours of driving in "driving school" vehicles.

The steering wheel is on the right side because I am now living in Australia. Contrary to what I said before, it has 120,000km, not 60,000.

A lot of people in this thread are discussing luxury. You should buy luxury if you have the money and you've had other cars before, or if you're a 16 year-old high school student trying to get laid more often and your dad is paying for it. This is my first car, so I just went for reliability, hence, Toyota Corolla. There's a few other cars I could have gone for.

I'm the 2nd owner of the vehicle, it's a 2007, so it's a "good" used car. It came with a cruise control and tinted windows that the previous owner added. It should have some resale value when I leave here in four years -- I'm hoping for maybe a quarter to a third of its current value. But really I just want it to work. I figure for my second car, when I have more of a clue, I'll look harder and spend more. The mileage should be decent, as gas is very expensive here so that's important. In the test drive, I liked that it was quiet.

As an aside, you should all get your license as early as possible. I realize it's expensive to get a license: driving lessons are $50/hour, so if you come from a working class family like I did and your parents don't have a car for you to practice in, it will be expensive to learn to drive. However, once you do get a car, they charge you insurance based on how many years you've had a license (regardless of whether or not you actually used your license), so the longer you've had a license, the cheaper your insurance will be. I'll be paying ~$1,700/year, because I first got my license in June 2012, and because I learned to drive in a country where the steering wheel is on the left side. Note that insurance companies do account for other factors then years of having a license.
Congratulations . Forget the discussion about luxury cars you've just purchased one of the most reliable cars on the planet . If the car was reasonably cared for you will get years of enjoyable driving . Your car is the Doug Jarvis of Automobiles .Tough, compact , does the important things well and can't be taken out of the game. Jarvis had 12 years between repairs may your corolla serve you much the same way. Again congrats.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote