View Single Post
Old
10-16-2012, 06:51 PM
RFA

vCash: 500
The stream quality is the problem. NeuLion provides several HD services, so they are not the problem. The AHL must be being cheap here.

The in-house production has nothing to do with the poor quality. For whatever reason people point to Adirondack and Albany. Both have HD cameras in house. The best quality on AHL live was actually Adirondack and Lowell, when both were using a single camera near center ice that rarely zoomed in, and panned slowly from side to side. It gets way worse when zooming in and out, and moving quickly side to side. That the sign of a low (i.e. cheap) bitrate. Again, nothing to do with the individual teams/arenas- and all to do with the leagues deal with NeuLion.

If you're serious about seeing the games in an acceptable (not good, but acceptable) format, this is what I have done. I have an older video card (ATI Radion 1300) in my 2008 computer. It has an S-video output. That's hooked up to an older SD television. Again, it's not great, but looks ok. You can get an old video card for around $20 and usually a tv for free from someone looking to get rid of one. Monoprice.com has very cheap s-video cables.

The obvious solution would be for AHLLive to improve the quality of the service from the level it was in 2005 with B2. But playing with the cards dealt, this works best as far as I can tell.

RFA is offline   Reply With Quote