View Single Post
Old
10-16-2012, 11:32 PM
overpass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Wow, each voter only submitted top 50 lists and didn't resubmit when they extended beyond 50? I didn't realize that. No wonder there are so many weird choices in the bottom 50. Babe Pratt could have only been on the list of 1 or 2 voters and gotten in if one of those lists had him high enough.

If that's the case, I'd honest just throw the bottom 50 of that list in the trash.
They definitely only submitted top 50 lists. See the publisher blurb for the book (from amazon.com)

Quote:
To mark the fiftieth anniversary of The Hockey News, a committee of fifty of the most respected observers of the game – including Dick Irvin, Bob McKenzie, Harry Neale, Jim Matheson, Scotty Bowman, Al Arbour, Glen Sather, and Roger Nielson – selected the top 50 NHL players of all time.

The identity of the player who received the most votes was no surprise: Wayne Gretzky. The names of the next four might also have been predicted, although the order in which they were ranked – Bobby Orr, followed by Gordie Howe, Mario Lemieux and Maurice Richard – has caused heated argument. Without question, however, the names that make up the rest of the list, and the order in which they are ranked, could keep all true hockey fans engaged in debate for years.

When the original list was published in The Hockey News, it inspired every possible reaction, from enthusiastic approval to indignant rage. Each great player has his own fans eager to make the case for higher placement. Now, in this splendid full-colour collector’s book, the list has been expanded to include the top 100 NHL players of all time and the debate can be renewed again with vigour.
There is no mention of individual lists being extended to a top 100, and it seems a bit unlikely that they would go back to their list of contributors asking for a list of the 51-100 ranked players.

I'm inclined to agree with your conclusion. The list has a few head-scratchers toward the bottom but looks much better in the top half.